Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Reading Between the Lines, or not?

What happens when you change how you read?  Now I don't mean that you begin to obtain visual images through your left or right ear, although that may actually help.  But what happens when you change how you process information?  I suppose that I may be preempting, but that is exactly what I asked my class to do yesterday, to read with new information.  How did I get there, you might ask?  Let me describe it.

Looking at John 5:19-30 and breaking it into various sections (boring to repeat here) uncovered a chiastic patten that revolves around various themes.  Every theme is repeated except for what I called A5.  (Someone else may also have called it A5 but I think I broke it down myself for the class without consulting any other text).  By theory, A5 should be critical for understanding the passage.  The problem is that it is stuck in the middle and so forgotten by those who read all the way through, and never noticed by those who just glance over the passage.  But it is still critical.

So I asked my class to go home and read John 5:31-47 with A5 in mind.  I want them to tell me what a difference it makes when they read differently.  Unfortunately, I won't know until tomorrow.  So, I'll let you also do the assignment.  Read John 5:31-47 with A5 in mind, "in order that everyone might honor the Son just as they honor the Father. The one who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent the Son."

What happens when you change how you read?  Any comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment